Show summary Hide summary
A newly filed civil suit claims employees at a Popeyes drive‑thru in southwest Atlanta physically assaulted a woman last year after she sought to correct a mistaken order — a case that raises fresh questions about franchise hiring practices and customer safety. The complaint, filed Friday, names the alleged attackers and the company that owns the restaurant and seeks damages for injuries the woman says left lasting physical and emotional harm.
The incident is said to have occurred in September 2022 at the Popeyes on Cleveland Avenue. According to the filing and statements from the plaintiff’s attorney, the encounter escalated after the customer, identified as Denetra Dawson, asked staff to fix an incorrect order.
What the lawsuit says
Crying tiger Thai steak goes viral: quick grilled recipe with fiery chili dip
Philadelphia drive-thru theft: register ripped from McDonald’s, suspect flees with cash
Plaintiff’s counsel Mawuli Davis, of the David Bozeman Law Firm, says employees exited the restaurant, opened Dawson’s car door and began to assault her. The suit alleges that her hair was forcibly removed and that she suffered bruising and humiliation. Dawson told local reporters she feared for her life and called police after the confrontation.
Police reports cited in the complaint resulted in charges: two people — identified by authorities as Tenice Taylor and a juvenile — were charged with battery, and a third person, Tenister Evans, faced misdemeanor obstruction of an officer.
- Location: Popeyes, Cleveland Avenue, southwest Atlanta.
- When: Incident reported in September 2022; lawsuit filed Friday.
- Allegations: Physical assault during a drive‑thru dispute; hair forcibly removed; bruising.
- Criminal response: Two battery charges and one obstruction charge were recorded by police.
- Civil action: Dawson has sued the alleged attackers and the franchise owner, accusing the restaurant of negligent hiring and supervision.
Claims about hiring and oversight
Davis asserts the store manager had a documented history of violent behavior and that the franchisee failed to conduct appropriate screening. The lawsuit argues that those alleged hiring and supervision failures amount to a reckless disregard for customer safety and seek to hold the restaurant company accountable.
The complaint frames the episode as more than an isolated employee altercation, emphasizing corporate responsibility when franchisees employ managers with violent records without adequate vetting.
Response from Popeyes
In a statement to local media, Popeyes said the brand does not tolerate violence and noted the franchisee confirmed the incident. The company also said the employees involved were terminated and declined further comment because litigation is pending.
The franchisee overseeing that location has not publicly detailed its hiring or background‑check processes. The lawsuit will likely explore whether background checks were conducted and whether any prior records should have barred employment.
Why this matters now
Beyond the immediate injuries to the plaintiff, the case highlights broader risks at franchised retail and food locations where local hiring decisions can expose national brands to legal and reputational fallout. Customers and community members are closely watching how quickly franchise operators and brand parents respond when violent incidents occur on site.
Legal observers say civil litigation like this can prompt policy changes if plaintiffs prove a pattern of negligent hiring or supervision. Even if the outcome is settlement, companies often reassess training and screening to reduce future liability and restore consumer trust.
For consumers, the episode is a reminder to document interactions and report threats to authorities. For franchise operators, it underscores the potential costs of inadequate vetting and supervision.
Quick timeline
- September 2022 — Alleged assault in Popeyes drive‑thru on Cleveland Avenue.
- Shortly after — Police respond; charges filed against two adults/one minor as reported by authorities.
- This week (filed Friday) — Civil lawsuit brought by Denetra Dawson seeking damages from the individuals and the restaurant owner.
- Ongoing — Popeyes emphasizes no tolerance for violence; employees reportedly terminated; lawsuit proceeds.
The case will proceed through Georgia’s civil courts and is likely to include depositions, review of hiring records and criminal case developments. As litigation moves forward, both legal outcomes and any corporate policy shifts will be closely watched by local communities and other franchise operators concerned about customer safety.
Tequila myths busted: 6 popular beliefs that aren’t true
Miami Hurricanes game weekend expands into three-day tailgate and cafecito crawl












